Fort Recovery officials have been developing plans for over a year to dredge the lagoons that are part of its wastewater treatment system, shown above and below. Kleinfelder, a Defiance-based engineering firm, this month sent village administrator Aaron Rengers an estimate for a system overhaul that was much higher than previous expectations.
FORT RECOVERY - Fort Recovery officials plan to seek a second opinion after they received an estimate of nearly $10 million for a new upgraded wastewater treatment system earlier this month.
At the village council's regular meeting on Monday, village administrator Aaron Rengers said Kleinfelder, a Defiance-based engineering firm, sent him an engineer's estimate of $9.67 million to overhaul the village's wastewater treatment system on May 8.
The estimate is nearly double the expected project price of $5.75 million.
"The original one, when we started the 30% design, was $5,751,200, which we said would be really hard for Fort Recovery to do. We said that. Me and Randy (former village administrator Randy Diller) both did. Randy was there. He can attest to that. They came back with at first over $22 million for the lagoon system. I told them their numbers were wrong and, 'When you guys said mechanical plant, it was $10 to $12 million. So how did the lagoon become $22 million?' Since then, they went back down and made it basically $9 million, $12 million if you count backfill," Rengers said. "But I told Kleinfelder we weren't going to backfill for $3 million. We will backfill over time with whatever projects … we're not going to spend $3 million on backfill. So that's where I got the $9 million from. Their recommendation was to break into two projects."
Rengers continued that he recently spoke with Lemna Environmental Technologies, a Minnesota-based environmental consultant, who told him Kleinfelder's estimate was "ridiculous."
Mayor Dave Kaup said it "certainly" sounds like Rengers needs to shop around for a second estimate.
"I'm reaching out right now. Nothing set in stone, but yeah, we'll work through it," Rengers said.
Fort Recovery officials have been developing plans for over a year to dredge the lagoons that are part of its wastewater treatment system, shown above and below. Kleinfelder, a Defiance-based engineering firm, this month sent village administrator Aaron Rengers an estimate for a system overhaul that was much higher than previous expectations.
Also on Monday, councilors accepted a bid of $90,472.75 from Wagner Paving of Laura for an asphalt overlay project on First Street from the railroad tracks to Wabash Road, Center Street between Main Street and State Route 49, and the Milligan Street apron off State Route 49.
Rengers previously received an engineer's estimate of $128,700 for the project.
"That bid opening was May 14. So Wagner Paving has been recommended by the engineer," Rengers said. "He said (their bid was) $38,227.25 underneath the engineer's estimate."
Also, councilors:
• learned Rengers plans to meet with Indiana-based pool company Buddenbaum and Moore some time after Memorial Day to discuss a splash pad project.
• heard the village's liability and property insurance premiums went from $39,719 last year to $45,783 this year.
• were told the engineer's estimate for the water line and sanitary extension is $241,905, and that eventually they will need to move additional funds from the general fund to help with the project.
The Fort Recovery council meets next at 7:30 p.m. June 1 in council chambers.